CLASS A CDL TRAINING
TRUCK DRIVER TRAINING FOR OREGON AND WASHINGTON RESIDENTS
Elite Truck School offers accelerated Class A CDL training at our Hillsboro and Portland, OR truck driver training locations. The Commercial Truck Driver program at Elite Truck School prepares students for entry-level positions as professional truck drivers. You can earn your Class A CDL in just four weeks, and graduates will have great opportunities as over-the-road, dedicated regional, and local truck drivers.
CLASS A CDL PROGRAM
Elite Truck School’s 160-hour Class A CDL training is for both individuals with zero prior knowledge and those with more experience in the truck driving industry. This FMCSA-approved entry-level program is offered at our Hillsboro and Portland campuses. Working with experienced instructors, our students gain the necessary knowledge and practical skills needed to become truck drivers. This course prepares you to take the written permit and behind-the-wheel exam to receive your Class A CDL license. After getting your CDL, you will be eligible for employment as an entry-level driver.
More Than Simply Commercial Driver License Class A
The staff members at Elite Truck School are experts in helping you prepare not only for your Class A CDL exam but for all of your exams. While Class A licenses cover the broadest range of vehicles, this type of license is not the only one of value. In fact, there are three different CDL license classifications, and each one covers a different transportation schematic:
- CDL Class A: A commercial driver license Class A permits the driver to operate a combination of vehicles with a weight of more than 26,000 pounds when the vehicle being towed weighs more than 10,000 pounds. Typically, this includes commercial vehicles with trailers or semi-trailers that have two or more axles.
- CDL Class B: Class B licenses allow drivers to operate a single vehicle over 26,000 pounds if the weight of the vehicle being towed is under 10,000 pounds.
- CDL Class C: With this type of license, a driver can operate a vehicle transporting more than 16 passengers or hazardous materials.
A CDL License School Should Offer A Full Range Of Exams
Along with CDL exams, there are endorsement exams you may need to take, depending on the type of license you need and the type of vehicle you’ll be driving. For example:
- With a commercial driver license Class A, you may be required to take the double-triple endorsement exam or the combinations endorsement exam. These exams are often only allowed with a Class A license. If your vehicle has air brakes, you’ll need to take the air brakes endorsement exam.
- A Class B license doesn’t require the double-triple endorsement or combination endorsement. However, endorsements are required to drive a tank vehicle or a vehicle with air brakes.
- Class C licenses are unique because an operator with a Class C license must apply for certain endorsements. To transport passengers, passenger transport endorsement is required. A school bus driver endorsement is necessary for driving a school bus.
Choose A CDL License School With A Superior Reputation
At Elite Truck School, we have world-class, experienced instructors with the knowledge, skills, and experience to prepare you for your CDL test, whether you want a commercial driver license Class A or a different CDL classification. Our class sizes are small to ensure individualized instruction, and our commitment to our students’ success creates an excellent learning environment. Our comprehensive training program involves 160 hours of training that includes not only classroom work but also hands-on learning. At the end of four weeks, you’ll know everything you need to know to start a rewarding career in the trucking industry. What’s more, we offer job placement assistance, helping our students find work within our vast network. Our Portland, Oregon CDL license school is with you every step of the way, from obtaining your CDL to your successful career as a professional truck driver. Contact us to learn more.
FMCSA AND ELDT APPROVED 160-HOUR TRUCK DRIVING SCHOOL
The Class A CDL training course at Elite Truck School takes place Monday – Friday at both our Portland and Hillsboro, Oregon campuses. The total course hours are a minimum of 160 hours of training time. New training classes start every Monday, and classes graduate every Friday.
Week 1: Classroom Theory/Safety Training & Preparing you for your CLP
Small group ~9 students working as a team
- Learn everything you need to know about being safe in the industry
- Learn basic industry knowledge to prepare you for your first job
- Obtain your Commercial Learners Permit and pass the drug test
Week 2: Truck Orientation and Pre-Trip
Small group ~9 students working as a team
- Become comfortable in and around the equipment
- Pass your pre-trip inspection and airbrakes tests (mimics third-party skills test)
Weeks 3-4: Backing and Driving
3 students with 1 instructor in your dedicated truck for 8 hours per day
- Develop great habits to build your career upon
- Learn all backing maneuvers and pass your backing test (mimics third-party skills test)
- Pass your drive test (mimics third-party skills test)
Top Tier CDL Training School in Oregon
The Professional Truck Driver Training program at Elite Truck School goes beyond the minimum requirements established by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and is based on the FMCSA Model Curriculum. Successful completion of the course and earning your Class A CDL qualifies graduates for work in entry-level truck driver positions with common carriers, private truck fleets, and local short and long-haul companies.